When you paint there is a good chance that paint droplets could drop from your brush or roller and land on the floor beneath you. This will not be of great importance if the floor is not completed, and sometimes it will not matter if you are painting outdoors, but most of the time you do not want paint droplets to spoil what they might fall on.
To protect the floor or anything in the room that you do not want the paint to come in contact with the simple solution is to put a drop cloth in place. If any paint splatters or falls it will get on the drop cloth, and not on places it could ruin.
The following list of drop cloth impressed us greatly for painting project
All Purpose Canvas Cotton
Weight: 4 pounds
Size: 9' x 12'
TUFFBOY Cotton Canvas
Weight: 12.2 pounds
Size: 12FT X 15FT
Paint Essentials Canvas
Weight: 5.6 pounds
Size: 9FT X 12FT
TrimacoSuper Tuff Premium Contractor
Weight: 3.17 pounds
Size: 4' X 15'
Certification: Not Applicable
6 Piece Set Canvas
Weight: 15 pounds
Size: 6' x 9'
1. All Purpose Canvas Cotton Drop Cloth
This is an all-purpose cotton duck canvas drop cloth. It repels liquids and keeps the liquids from penetrating through the cotton duck canvas material and onto the surface beneath the cloth.
It has double stitch hems and seams so it is very strong. These hems and seams also give the cloth more durability so you can use many times.
The finished measurements of this cloth are 8’6” x 11’6”.
2. TUFFBOY Cotton Canvas All Purpose Drop Cloth
This Tuffboy canvas drop cloth is perfect for keeping furniture and flooring protected from dust, grime, paint splatters, spills and more.
It measures 4’ x 11’6” and you can clean the cloth by simply tossing it into your washing machine when it gets dirty.
The edges of the cloth are double stitched, but there are no other seams on the cloth so you do not have to worry about the material leaking at a seam.
3. Paint Essentials Canvas Drop Cloth
This drop cloth is designed to handle any paint, dirt, or residue created during your home improvement projects. They also come in handy to cover furniture when you have pets, when you will be gone for a long period of time, and when you are going to have a lot of company and want a surface protected from spills, dirt and more.
The canvas material is resilient and can withstand many pieces of washing and uses.
4. TrimacoSuper Tuff Premium Contractor Grade Heavyweight Canvas
This 4’ x 15’ canvas cloth is large enough to protect any room in your home.
The cloth is manufactured in the United States from contractor grade heavyweight canvas.
It has double stitched seams and hems to keep the cloth strong and prevent seepage at the seams.
You can reuse this drop cloth many times and simply wash away the dirt and store it until the next project that requires protection to surfaces in your home.
5. 6 Piece Set Canvas Drop Cloth
This is a six piece setoff drop cloths. Each of the six cloths measures 5’6” x 8’6”.
The drop cloths are crafted from 100% 10 ounce cotton duck canvas so they repel liquids, and trap dirt and debris so cleaning up after a project is easier than ever.
They can be used to cover furniture, to protect flooring, to cover over windows, to hand over doorways to stop dirt and debris from entering.
6. CoverGrip CSafety Drop Cloth
This 100% canvas drop cloth measures 3.5’ x 12’ and is made from high quality cotton-poly canvas that is excellent at repelling liquids.
The back of the drop cloth has thousands of tiny slip resistant rubberized dots on it so the cloth does not slide on floors when you walk across it. You place the side of the canvas with the dots towards the floor and then apply pressure by walking on the canvas so it gets a grip and stays in place.
7. Paint Essentials Canvas Drop Cloth
This is a heavy duty drop cloth that covers 12’ x 15’. It protects floors, carpets, furniture, and equipment from paint spills, liquids, dirt and debris.
The cloth is fashioned from 100% eight ounce canvas and sewn together using rot resistant thread.
You can simply toss the cloth in your washing machine and wash it when the project is done and bring it out the next time something needs protection.
8. Tuff Boy Cotton Canvas Drop Cloth
The finished size of this drop cloth is 8’9” x 11’6”. It is 100% canvas so it is durable and can be washed and used repeatedly for many years.
The cloth is seamless so it is not weakened by a seam and the outer hems are double stitched so they do not pull apart or ravel.
It can be used to absorb possible spills or you can lay it over the flooring to reduce tracking when there is going to be heavy traffic through an area of your home.
9. 5 x 20 Quality Canvas Drop Cloth Runner
This drop cloth runner measures 5’ x 20’ so it is perfect to lay over your carpet or flooring in a hallway to prevent dirt from being tracked into the home and to absorb any paint spills or liquid spills that might occur.
It is made of nine-ounce canvas and can be washed and reused many times. This is one of those handy items that you should keep around the home at all times.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Canvas Drop Cloth
Drop cloths are handy items around the home. They protect your home and furnishings from spills, from dirt and dust, and from any other contaminant that you think might soil them.
When buying a drop cloth consider the following things to help you get the perfect cloth.
What are You using the Cloth for?
Consider the main purpose of the cloth.
- If you want the cloth to protect your furnishings or flooring from spills when you are doing home improvement projects like painting then make sure you buy a heavy-duty canvas cloth.
- You will probably want to get a cloth that is made of 10 ounce canvas so you know it will stop any penetration.
- If the cloth is going to be placed on wooden or time flooring consider buying a cloth with slip resistant dots so the cloth will stay in place
What size area are you covering?
If you are covering a room that is 12 feet wide x 12 feet then you want to make sure that you buy a cloth that is slightly larger than your room measurements so you can cover the entire floor at one time.
If you are covering furniture then you will want several clothes that are slightly larger than each piece of furniture so you get complete coverage.
Tips to use a drop cloth
There are many different uses for drop cloths. Once you start to use them you will wonder how you ever got along without them. Some of the most frequent uses for these items are:
- To cover furniture when you are doing home improvement projects. The cloths stop paint from penetrating to the furniture.
- To cover furniture when you have a guest room or guest house that is not used frequently. The cloth stops dust from building up on the furniture.
- To protect floorings like carpets from being dirtied or stained by high traffic when you are doing a home improvement project.
- To protect glass windows from dirt, dust or debris while you are doing a remodeling project
- To cover automobiles in your garage when you are painting or cleaning in the garage
- To hand over doorways so dust and debris from a project you are doing cannot escape the room and travel all over the home
- To protect furniture when you are moving so it does not get scratched or dirty
- To protect carpeting or flooring when you are painting so you do not get paint on the floor
- To protect sidewalks, porches, and walkways from paint, stain, dust and debris when you are doing home improvement projects outdoors
- To create art canvases
- To create canvas signs
- To cover windows and outdoor home décor when you are mowing so you do not blow cut grass onto them
- As ground cover beneath a child’s blow-up swimming pool
- To protect an above ground swimming pool from dirt and debris when you are doing yard work
Can you wash painters drop cloths?
If the cloth is made from canvas then you definitely can wash it and reuse it many times. The thin plastic clothes are designed to be thrown away.
How do you soften a drop cloth?
You can wash the cloth and use a liquid fabric softener in the rinse water.
How do you get mildew stains out of paint drop cloths?
You can wash the cloth in bleach and detergent to try and remove the stain. You can also mix peroxide and baking soda and create a paste and scrub the stain with this mixture, using a soft bristled brush. Then wash the cloth in the machine.
Can you bleach canvas drop cloths?
You can add household bleach to your wash water when you launder canvas drop cloths.
Drop cloths are really a homeowner’s best friend. You can use them to protect your furniture, protect your floor coverings, and protect almost everything around your home. You can even use them to cover your lawn equipment so that it is not bleached by the sun or damaged by dust and debris.
You should buy canvas drop cloths because you can wash those clothes and use them over and over again. The ten ounce cotton canvas is the most durable and a cloth made from that weight of the canvas is suitable for industrial use so it will likely last a homeowner for decades.