We all have metal decor items in and around our homes that could probably benefit from a facelift. Many of us are reluctant to try and upgrade the look of our metal items because we have been told that spray paint can’t be used on metal and other such myths.
Our experts tell us that not only can spray paint be used on metal to make the items look better, but, the paint will protect the metal from rust, corrosion, and other deterioration problems. Spray paint is recommended for metal because spray paint dries faster, and adheres more completely to the metal surface.
Krylon Color Master
Weight: 1 pounds
Dimensions: 2.6 x 7.9 x 7.9
Rust oleum Universal Metallic
Weight: 11 ounces
Dimensions: 2.6 x 2.6 x 9
Material: Aluminum, Metal
Krylon Diversified Brands K08970000
Weight: 12 ounces
Dimensions: 2.6 x 2.6 x 8
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Metallic
Weight: 12 ounces
Dimensions: 2.6 x 2.6 x 8
Rust-Oleum 7251830 Stops Rust Metallic
Weight: 15.5 ounces
Dimensions: 2.5 x 2.5 x 8
Material: Oil based
1. Krylon Color Master Paint Spray Reviews
This metal comes in several finishes, including Gloss, Stain, Metallic, Matte, Flat, Semi-Flat, Semi-Gloss and Primer.
You can easily find the perfect finish for your project.
It is designed with Covermax technology so you get the maximum amount of coverage from a minimum amount of paint.
It can be used on items designed for interior placement or exterior placement. It dries in no more than ten minutes and creates a protective barrier from the damaging effects of sun, wind, rain, and humidity.
2. Rust oleum Universal Metallic Spray Paint Reviews
This Rust-Oleum product has a unique spray system that allows you to position the can upside down, on its side, or in any position without interfering with the dispensing of the paint. This allows you to easily reach all of the intricate designs of your metal pieces.
The trigger on the sprayer is designed to require two fingers during operation. It is comfortable to hold and does not make your hands and fingers cramp like some of the other spray spouts of spray paint cans.
It can be used on a wide variety of surfaces, including metal. Wicker, and plastic.
3. Krylon Diversified Brands K08970000 Spray Paint Reviews
Krylon diversified spray paint gives you the most rust protection that you can get from spray paint. It is easy to apply because it requires no sanding or priming of the metal before you use the paint.
It has a superior adhesion ability and it lasts for a long time. It resists fading, chipping and peeling.
The canister is designed with an easy push button that reduces the finger fatigue of the user. You can work longer and finish faster.
You can choose from finishes as flat, satin, hammered, gloss, and metallic.
4. Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Metallic Spray Paint Reviews
One of the most important things about this spray paint is that it protects the metal from the weather and things that cause corrosion and deterioration.
It is an oil based formula so it can provide a greater amount of rust prevention and protection. It sticks to the metal easily and is resistant to fading, abrasion, and chipping.
It is dry to the touch in a matter of twenty minutes or less, and it goes a long way because one can cover fifteen square feet.
5. Rust-Oleum 7251830 Stops Rust Metallic Spray Paint Reviews
When you use this spray paint you are not only going to beautify your metal item you are also going to protect the item and increase the number of years that it lasts. This spray paint is the number one type of spray protectant to help prevent rust and deterioration.
It has an oil base so it covers the metal in a thicker coating. One can cover 15 square feet with a durable protective seal.
It actually has metal flakes in the paint so the finished look is brilliant. It goes on smoothly and is dry to the touch in a matter of minutes.
6. Krylon K08800007 'Dual' Superbond Spray Paint
This Krylon paint eliminates the need for you to use a primer on the metal before you apply your top coat. The primer that creates the protective seal and makes the topcoat look smoother is already combined in the paint so you get both effects out of one product.
You can choose a gloss, satin, or flat finish in a variety of popular colors.
It is excellent for use on metal yard décor, tables, house trim, aluminum, concrete, plaster, wicker, glass and more.
7. Krylon K09196000 Spray Paint Reviews
This is a two in one paint and primer that will save you time, save you money, and provide the ultimate amount of rust protection for your metal items. The primer and the top coat are combined in the can so you only have to spray one time to get the benefits of both.
It seals the metal so that humidity, rain, and the heat of the sun cannot create rust, corrosion or blemishes. You get a beautiful finish that will last for many years.
You can choose from a glossy look, a metallic, a satin, a matte, semi-gloss, semi-flat, or plain primer.
7 Tips for Spray Painting Metal
- Be sure that you buy a spray paint that can be used on the material you are working with. Most spray paints can be used on multiple surfaces, but read the label and make certain that the surface you are working on is one that the paint will adhere to.
- If the project piece you are painting can be taken apart, like in removing legs, or decorative pieces. Then you should take the item apart, paint the individual pieces, and then assemble the item again. Do not forget to paint the hinges and screw heads to create a better looking final product.
- Apply each coat from a different angle so you reach all of the little dimples, and crevices to get an even paint coating. Spray left to right for one coat. Spray right to left for a coat. Spray horizontally one time and vertically the next.
- Spray thin layers of paint. It is better to do several thin coats than to try and do one thick coat. Thick coats usually end up with runs or blobs of paint.
- Be sure that you clean the item you are about to paint thoroughly. Dust and grime can cause your paint to not adhere well. Clean the item and let it dry completely before you paint it.
- If the nozzle on your can is plugged you can usually swap it with a nozzle from another can. Do not get frustrated over clogged nozzles. Do not throw away a can of paint because of a clogged nozzle.
- Let each coat of paint dry completely before you apply the next coat. Most spray paints can dry in under thirty minutes. Be patient and make sure the paint is dry before you add more paint.
Buying guide to Choose The Best Spray Paint for Metal Surfaces
Before you can paint you have to buy the paint to use. Before you buy the paint to use on your project consider the following things:
- The material you are painting. It is important to buy paints designed to paint the materials you are painting.
- Are you painting indoors or outdoors? If you are painting indoors you want a paint that has a low odor. If you are painting outdoors you want a water-resistant paint.,
- The temperature of the air. If it is below 500 or above 1000 your paint may not adhere well
- Is the item you are painting going to be exposed to the UV rays of the sun? If it is then you want to buy paint that is fade resistant or UV light resistant
- Is the item you are painting metal? If it is then you want a spray paint that inhibits or protects the item from rust and corrosion.
- Is the item you are painting flexible like a wicker rocker or a swing? If it is then you want a paint that is flexible when it dries so it can move with the item without chipping or cracking.
- How many square feet does the can say it will cover?
With a little label reading, you will be able to find the perfect spray paint to suit your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does spray paint stay on metal?
Some spray paints are designed to have a great amount of adhesion when they are used on metal surfaces. You must read the label on the paint can to determine if the paint you are purchasing can adhere to metal and if it is recommended for use on metal.
How long does it take for spray paint to cure on metal?
Spray paints that are designed to be used on metal surfaces will cure in ten to thirty minutes. If you want to be certain that the paint is completely cured wait twenty-four hours before you move the object you have painted.
Spray painting metal objects is important because the paint acts as a protective barrier for the metal. Metal objects are designed to be durable and strong, but without the protection of the paint they will rust and deteriorate rather quickly.
Spray paints are easier to use because they come in a can that is their container and their dispenser. You do not have to buy brushes and rollers to apply these products. You might have to buy sandpaper and a wire brush to remove old paint, rust deposits, or dirt and grime from the object.
Always use spray paint in a well-ventilated area, and for your own safety, you should wear a respirator mask, and protective eyewear while painting.